The town Christmas tree was in the middle of the intersection.
Bryson City Bank occupied the Everett Street building from 1908 until the mid 1960s. At the celebration of the Bank’s 50th anniversary, with total resources exceeding a million dollars, Bryson City Bank board chairman Black announced the merger with Northwestern Bank. Soon thereafter, Northwestern built a new bank building on the site of the old D.K Collins General Store, where Bryson City Bank first began.
Mr. Stanley W. Black headed the bank during its entire stay in the Everett Hotel building. After Northwestern moved to its new location, the old bank building was occupied by the Swain County government and The Swain County Chamber of Commerce.
The Stanley Black family made significant contributions to Bryson City’s growth during the early 20th century. In 1929, Stanley’s wife Marianna started the town’s first public library, initially operating out of two suitcases. After outgrowing several locations around town, the present-day Marianna Black Public Library was built in 1975. Operations are still funded, in part, by Mrs. Black’s generous endowment.
It should be noted that some historical accounts date the bank’s charter in 1904 and the building’s construction in 1906. Since the only verifiable date is the Bank’s purchase of the land on May 31, 1907, it’s safe to assume the 1908 construction date is correct.